Skip to main content

It Just Doesn't Take as Much

I can easily remember when, as a kid, it took a lot to entertain me...I was always wanting to do something a little more exciting. Growing up on a farm just didn't always do it for me :).

I loved my family, loved the people there in the Oldtown community in Calhoun County, MS...and loved my friends and school friends...but I was always wanting MORE to be happening.

I just returned from a week there in that same location in North MS....funny, the things I now have "warm fuzzy" memories of are those times when little happened to entertain me that resembled what I craved as a kid.

I loved just driving around....visiting Ellard Mountain and the rock :), singing to the top of my lungs with Scarlett and Vern and Jimmy as we drove to visit Jimmy's sister in Tupelo, hugging necks and eating and visiting with my cousins at the Clark reunion, shooting fireworks (some good ones, too) on the evening of July 4th...being thankful all the while for my freedom as a citizen of the United States of America. How neat to become reacquainted with Becky and Shirley from high school days as we laughed and cried a tear or two together in that Oxford restaurant. Dozens of other memories are there today...and they're basically along the same lines....just the things that make life worth looking back on as being a part of the stability of our society..when there's loads of instability all around us.

I think my days of wishing for MORE and MORE are over (oh, I still have dreams LOL).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From here to there

A lot of you are familiar with or at least know of my only niece, Scarlett (or Sweet Scarlett, as I often refer to her). A brilliant gal in the prime of her life and career was involved in a horrible car accident at the age of 36, leaving her with a severe brain injury. God has brought her so far….so many accomplishments that she wasn’t “supposed” to ever achieve. A couple of years ago while she was going through a particularly hard struggle, she said to me, “Aunt Ann, I know I’m gonna make it, but right now I’m in that in between place”. I knew exactly what she was saying…and I’d imagine you do, too, right? We believe that God’s gonna walk with us and get us to the other side…however, sometimes it just seems like a longggggg way from here to there, doesn’t it? We’re gonna make it..but there are times we sure do need a hand to hold or place to rest on the journey….’cause we aren’t “there” yet…and we need to hear from somebody, who actually cares where we are struggling, that w...

Courageous Non-pursuit

I’ve always appreciated the story of the prodigal son, the wonderful story of promise that God never gives up on the wayward children.   Recently, the scripture grabbed me from a different perspective. Did you ever think about this…there is no account that says the father went out looking for his son who had made the decision to leave and go do his own thing?   Surely the father was brokenhearted, most likely prayed every waking minute of every day for his boy whom he loved dearly, BUT, he stayed home.   I believe God has shown me that the father in the story had faith that He (God) would return the son to his senses and restore him to the family.   The earthly father didn’t have to go begging, making deals, blurring all kinds of boundaries by trying to do God’s work.   He just knew the Heavenly Father would be pursuing and could be trusted to do a work that would be eternal. So what’s the big deal, Ann?   Well, for me (maybe for some of you, too), it ...

Faith Giving

My parents taught me about being quick to give but to use good judgment and wisdom in who to give to and making sure I give for the right reasons. I’ve been truly blessed these past few days by true givers.  Typically January is a slow month for traveling ministries like Downing Ministries.  This month has been especially challenging in that one weekend had only one booking and this past weekend just didn’t book at all.  Having seen the major snowstorm that blew through late last week, we wouldn’t likely have been able to fulfill dates if they had scheduled.  I’ve been hesitant to do a “plea” as such for help, somehow feeling that God had this and could work far better than I could.  I want to report, as I do the happy dance, that “giving folks” have started doing just that…GIVING out of their hearts to Downing Ministries.  To make the happy dance last longer, let me say that most of these gifts are from some folks I KNOW don’t have it to give in ...