Skip to main content

A Friend…One Of God’s Greatest Gifts

I’ve often said that one of the most glorious parts of God’s creation days was when He created friendship.

I’ve also heard it said that if you have one good friend you are rich….if you have two good friends you are a millionaire. But of course you can’t put a monetary value on what friends mean to us, can you?

I think I caught a glimpse of that several years ago at sweet Roger Bennett’s funeral. When I walked into the foyer of the church I immediately felt better because I started one by one seeing friends I don’t normally see. One of the downsides of what I do is that I’m usually doing it alone, not with other artist/ministry friends. Of course that’s one of the real upsides of being a part of events such as those Gaither video tapings…we get to hug, pat and catch up a bit on what’s going on in each others’ lives.

It was difficult for me as I watched Debbie walk back up that aisle behind Roger’s casket, leaving for the burial. It brought back a million painful memories of that day 19 years ago on a dark, rainy, cold day on this side of Nashville. I also remembered how very comforting it was to have friends hug me, stroke my arm and say “Ann, I wish I could do something to make it better”. Even in those painful moments, I felt loved and cared for and that sure helped!!!!! I did feel better!!!

Sure, we can make it alone…but oh my goodness, why would anyone want to do that?

As I was leaving the sanctuary following Roger’s funeral service, I saw my sweet friend, Janice, walking up the aisle. I caught up with her and wrapped my arms around her and she responded with her hug. You see, just 5 weeks prior she’d said “goodbye” for a while to her young husband. She looked at me and said, “Ann, what you’ve sung about ever since I’ve known you is true…He will be there even during the hardest of times when the silence is sooooo loud!”

I looked around and saw dozens of Roger’s friends. Sad, oh yes, but chatting, patting on the back, smiling and perhaps telling “Roger stories”. We all left, and as I drove away I felt amazingly better than when I arrived….because once again I was reminded that it’s easier to go through ANY and EVERYTHING when you walk with a friend.

I’m sooooo glad and thankful that God came up with that idea, aren’t you?

Comments

  1. Sure am, AnnD! There have been times in my life that I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had someone there...just that physical person and also the knowing that He is always there right with me. The Lord knew that there'd be times when we would need that someone/something that we could hear, see or feel down here. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good -some of my my favorite verses are from Ecclesiastes 4-
    9 Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor: 10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
    But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
    11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
    12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

    Jesus as the best friend makes that cord strong to go through anything that comes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Courteous Listening

The act of being courteous takes very little effort. I’m one of the worst to get involved in what is going on at that moment in my life, probably trying to figure it out, fix it, find a solution….you know, MOVE ON WITH IT.  All the while, I frequently miss what’s happening right in front of my face. When we stop and think about it, a lot of us probably come across as disinterested, impatient with, and/or bored by what others are saying.  In politeness we nod, maybe touch an arm as if to say, “I hear you.”  I know a lot of the time we’re sincere, but more often than not, we’re probably thinking about the next thing on our own agenda forgetting what we’ve heard only five minutes later. If I’m thinking about this, the light bulb may be going off in your head, too.  Maybe all of us can put forth a more concerted effort to be effective listeners and be as truly attentive as we try to make people believe we are.

From here to there

A lot of you are familiar with or at least know of my only niece, Scarlett (or Sweet Scarlett, as I often refer to her). A brilliant gal in the prime of her life and career was involved in a horrible car accident at the age of 36, leaving her with a severe brain injury. God has brought her so far….so many accomplishments that she wasn’t “supposed” to ever achieve. A couple of years ago while she was going through a particularly hard struggle, she said to me, “Aunt Ann, I know I’m gonna make it, but right now I’m in that in between place”. I knew exactly what she was saying…and I’d imagine you do, too, right? We believe that God’s gonna walk with us and get us to the other side…however, sometimes it just seems like a longggggg way from here to there, doesn’t it? We’re gonna make it..but there are times we sure do need a hand to hold or place to rest on the journey….’cause we aren’t “there” yet…and we need to hear from somebody, who actually cares where we are struggling, that w

Faith Giving

My parents taught me about being quick to give but to use good judgment and wisdom in who to give to and making sure I give for the right reasons. I’ve been truly blessed these past few days by true givers.  Typically January is a slow month for traveling ministries like Downing Ministries.  This month has been especially challenging in that one weekend had only one booking and this past weekend just didn’t book at all.  Having seen the major snowstorm that blew through late last week, we wouldn’t likely have been able to fulfill dates if they had scheduled.  I’ve been hesitant to do a “plea” as such for help, somehow feeling that God had this and could work far better than I could.  I want to report, as I do the happy dance, that “giving folks” have started doing just that…GIVING out of their hearts to Downing Ministries.  To make the happy dance last longer, let me say that most of these gifts are from some folks I KNOW don’t have it to give in the natural, but in the spiritual, it m