Skip to main content

The "Between Now and Then" Moments

In the fall for the past 25 years, I have started planning (along with a great committee) for MIDDLE TENNESSEE WOMEN'S RETREAT...held in the spring.  It's what I look forward to when I see the first signs of autumn because the memories of past retreats start to rise up in my heart and I get excited!

But, you know what?  I don't want to miss what goes on during the "everydayness" that has nothing to do with a retreat.  What about celebrating and planning and being excited about the phone call that came in at just the right time?  What about that little guy dancing with great enthusiasm to my music
in church this Sunday (didn't bother him a bit that he was the only one showing that much enthusiasm).  What about meeting a man just released from being on death row for something like 30 years... DNA proving he's been innocent all this time...me having the privilege to witness his love for God and refusal to be bitter in any way?  He's so in love with Jesus until he has NO TIME for anger and resentment.

Maybe you sorta live for those future happenings that you look forward to regularly.  That's not an awful thing, for sure.  Let's just not miss the "between now and then" moments.  He's trying to be with us in those moments, too!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courteous Listening

The act of being courteous takes very little effort. I’m one of the worst to get involved in what is going on at that moment in my life, probably trying to figure it out, fix it, find a solution….you know, MOVE ON WITH IT.  All the while, I frequently miss what’s happening right in front of my face. When we stop and think about it, a lot of us probably come across as disinterested, impatient with, and/or bored by what others are saying.  In politeness we nod, maybe touch an arm as if to say, “I hear you.”  I know a lot of the time we’re sincere, but more often than not, we’re probably thinking about the next thing on our own agenda forgetting what we’ve heard only five minutes later. If I’m thinking about this, the light bulb may be going off in your head, too.  Maybe all of us can put forth a more concerted effort to be effective listeners and be as truly attentive as we try to make people believe we are.

From here to there

A lot of you are familiar with or at least know of my only niece, Scarlett (or Sweet Scarlett, as I often refer to her). A brilliant gal in the prime of her life and career was involved in a horrible car accident at the age of 36, leaving her with a severe brain injury. God has brought her so far….so many accomplishments that she wasn’t “supposed” to ever achieve. A couple of years ago while she was going through a particularly hard struggle, she said to me, “Aunt Ann, I know I’m gonna make it, but right now I’m in that in between place”. I knew exactly what she was saying…and I’d imagine you do, too, right? We believe that God’s gonna walk with us and get us to the other side…however, sometimes it just seems like a longggggg way from here to there, doesn’t it? We’re gonna make it..but there are times we sure do need a hand to hold or place to rest on the journey….’cause we aren’t “there” yet…and we need to hear from somebody, who actually cares where we are struggling, that w

Faith Giving

My parents taught me about being quick to give but to use good judgment and wisdom in who to give to and making sure I give for the right reasons. I’ve been truly blessed these past few days by true givers.  Typically January is a slow month for traveling ministries like Downing Ministries.  This month has been especially challenging in that one weekend had only one booking and this past weekend just didn’t book at all.  Having seen the major snowstorm that blew through late last week, we wouldn’t likely have been able to fulfill dates if they had scheduled.  I’ve been hesitant to do a “plea” as such for help, somehow feeling that God had this and could work far better than I could.  I want to report, as I do the happy dance, that “giving folks” have started doing just that…GIVING out of their hearts to Downing Ministries.  To make the happy dance last longer, let me say that most of these gifts are from some folks I KNOW don’t have it to give in the natural, but in the spiritual, it m